2008 OTB Foundation Decade of Architecture Prize
1999 Mention in the Construmat Prize for technological innovation
1997/1998 Finalist in the 5th Spanish Architecture Biennale
This market was inaugurated in 1888 in an expanding part of the Ensanche of Barcelona. The remodelling of the spaces and the structure was done in a building between confined between section walls, in a consolidated urban area, facing onto one of the busiest roads in the city.
The rehabilitation was intended to provide careful modernization, respecting a space in continuous use, in accordance with current spatial and social needs. Glass walls were recovered and incorporated into the building's two façades, while the iron structure and ceramic tiles of the roof were remodelled. Two basements were built for parking and for loading and unloading.
|Architect||Albert de Pineda|
|Address||C/ Aragó 317, Barcelona (España)|
|Owner||Institut Municipal de Mercats de Barcelona (IMMB)|
|Architecture Team||Xavier Llambrich|
|Quantity Surveyor||ENNE (Inmaculada Casado)|
|Builder||Fomento Construcciones y Contratas (FCC)|